Friday, July 31, 2009

A new twist on an old favorite

**UPDATE**
I made this for dinner last night (along with homemade buttermilk pancakes - we had breakfast for dinner), and really liked it! At first we thought, hmm ... this is a new taste ... and then decided that we really liked it. I would have never put bacon, brown sugar and cayenne pepper together, but man, I'm glad I did. We'll be eating this again!

*****

Patrick and I are headed out of town tonight to visit my parents, so that means no cooking this weekend for Kara! (It does mean a lot of good food, though!) But I'm not going to leave y'all hanging; a hometown friend sent me a recipe today that looked too good to keep to myself. Now, this is the first recipe I've posted that I haven't actually made myself, but everybody likes bacon, right? (Well, except for you, Kate.) :)

Thanks for the recipe, Natalie; I can't wait to try it! I think "breakfast for dinner" will be on the menu this week.


Candied Cayenne Bacon
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup packed light brown sugar

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound thinly sliced bacon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a broiler pan with aluminum foil, and position broiler rack on top of pan. Lightly coat the rack with vegetable oil.
Combine the brown sugar and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish, stirring well. Press one side of each slice of bacon firmly into the mixture to coat well. Arrange the slices on the pan in a single layer, sugared side up. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over the top of the bacon, then bake until bubbly and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly, then to a plate or serving dish to cool. You can serve warm or room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Patrick's Review:
    The picture above does no justice. This bacon takes bacon to a whole new level. I always thought of bacon as sort of a manly man's food: greasy, fatty, sizzling off the oven. Now add some cayenne pepper to bacon and some sort of sweet sugar taste - and you've got yourself a whole new breed of bacon. This stuff was good - really good. I'm hoping it will become a weekly addition to any meal :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter