Thursday, September 17, 2009

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

I love Mexican food. Burritos, enchiladas, nachos, tacos, queso dip ... pretty much all Mexican food is my friend (as long as it's the fresh Tex-Mex kind and not the kind from Orlando's ... I am not a fan of Orlando's-type food for some reason. Patrick, however, is a fan...). Plus, when you cover something in cheese, it's bound to be good!

My mom sent me this recipe from her Barbara Jean's cookbook. Now, Barbara Jean is known for her AMAZING crab cakes (the best I've ever tasted), but she has a cookbook chock full of seafood and non-seafood recipes alike. And come on, when it's from Barbara Jean, you know it's going to be tasty!

In addition to tasty, these enchiladas are so, so easy. They're the perfect weeknight meal. You can also easily cut the recipe in half, which is what I did for Patrick and me. This was definitely rated a "keeper" in our house.


Barbara Jean's Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe from Barbara Jean's cookbook
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
1 cup picante sauce (or salsa)
4 cups shredded cheese (I use the Mexican blend)
2 cups heavy cream*
8 flour tortillas
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

In a small bowl, mix together the chicken and picante sauce. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Warm tortillas briefly (I microwave them in wet paper towels for 30-40 seconds). Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture and 2 tablespoons of cheese down the center of each tortilla. Roll and place in pan seam side down. Pour the heavy cream on top and cover with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 4 (8 enchiladas).

For an extra kick to your taste buds, sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro before serving.

*I actually used half-and-half because it's what I had on hand, and it turned out great.

2 comments:

  1. Your "heavy cream" cooking cracks me up! And did you just blaspheme Orlando's???? Surely I did not read that correctly, for if so, I will have to....well....let's just hope it wasn't true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, I did just blaspheme Orlando's. I know it's your favorite restaurant and all, but I just can't take it.

    Cream (or half-and-half, which is what I had on hand and used), however, I do like. I never said my recipes were healthy! Hope you don't mind cream, because this is going to be a Thursday night dinner soon!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter