Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oven-Roasted Asparagus

I am always on the hunt for quick, easy, healthy side dishes. I always seem to make the same ones over and over again (roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli are my faithful standbys), but as much as we like them, sometimes you just need something different.

And that's where this recipe comes in. I usually only make it in the spring and summer. Something about asparagus just says "spring" to me. I have no idea if asparagus has a season or not, but I say it's spring!

Until I made and ate this asparagus, I had no idea that I liked it so much. This recipe is super easy, quick and delish. The asparagus gets nicely roasted but doesn't get soft - soft asparagus is a no-no in my book.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

Oven-roasted asparagus
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living
3 pounds fresh asparagus*
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted*

Wash and dry asparagus. Snap off and discard tough ends; place asparagus on a lightly greased baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or to desired degree of tenderness. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with almonds. Makes 8-10 servings.

*Patrick and I certainly can't eat 3 pounds of asparagus, so I usually buy just shy of 1 pound for the two of us. I eat quite a bit with dinner, and then we have a few left for leftovers. When using less than 3 lbs. I just reduce the rest of the ingredients as needed. For example, I made this the other night and used just under one pound of asparagus. I used a little less than a tablespoon of olive oil, one garlic clove, 1/4 tsp. salt and just a couple of shakes of pepper. I don't use almonds because I'm not a fan of nuts with my veggies, but if you like them, have at it!

2 comments:

  1. Kara-

    I LOVE asparagus! I like using olive oil spray (Pam) because it's lighter and the asparagus isn't as oily. Also, 5 minutes before you take it out, sprinkle some Parmesan cheese. It gets crunchy and reallllllly yummy!

    I've also seen balsamic vinegar shaken on, but I haven't tried it. How much longer until Nora gets here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the alfredo sauce looks good, you have to eat it immediately. I think it cooks way faster than the recipe says. Don't worry about letting it simmer an exact amount. I have done the same thing many times and the butter separates from the sauce. It's also hard to eat leftover. I've started cooking the pasta ahead of time so I'm not waiting on it to finish. Then, as soon as the sauce starts to thicken, I add the cheese and combine it with the pasta. I made it tonight and didn't catch it in time. Luckily it's still good- it just looks gross.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter