Friday, August 27, 2010

Family Favorites - Pepper Steak

Tonight I made a meal that I've enjoyed for as long as I can remember. It's a family favorite, and a recipe passed down to me from my mom. When I was younger I wouldn't eat peppers (or tomatoes or onions), but thankfully my parents never catered to my taste buds; my brother and I had to eat whatever was cooked, whether we liked it or not. My mom and dad (who made our breakfast and lunch every day) refused to be short-order cooks. I am thankful that I wasn't allowed to be a picky child because now I'm not a picky adult. I enjoy eating different types of food and trying new things.

But don't be fooled; I totally picked all peppers, onions and tomato chunks out of my food.

I'm glad my taste buds have evolved, if not, I'd miss out on a lot of great flavors.

So I'm introducing you to one of our favorite family meals, and I'm going to try to make this a weekly feature. I've also got something new to debut this Wednesday, so stay tuned!


Pepper Steak
Recipe courtesy of Mom
1 large flank steak, cut into thin strips (it's easier to cut when partially frozen)
3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup cooking sherry
2 shakes of ginger
4 teaspoons sugar
8 teaspoons cornstarch
2 green bell peppers, cut into bite-size pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
Rice

Combine soy sauce, sherry, ginger, sugar and cornstarch in a large, shallow pan (I use a 9x13 dish). Marinate steak in this for at least one hour (I usually let it marinate 4-8 hours, in the fridge).

Start rice so it can be ready when your meal is done.

Put meat and marinade in a large skillet and brown the meat. Once the meat is browned, turn down the heat, cover and cook until almost done, 20-25 minutes, adding hot water as necessary to maintain the sauce. Add peppers and cook until crisp-done.

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter