Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Aloha!

It seems like all of my recent recipes have been of the "fast and easy" variety. Well ... I guess when you're a working woman, that's what you like to cook after a day of working - something fast and easy - but still delicious!

These little sandwiches certainly fit the bill. They take all of 10 minutes to assemble (if that), and 20 minutes to bake. Who doesn't love having dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less? These could also double as lunch, or as appetizers/snack food if you're throwing a party. They're quite the versatile little sandwich.

I got this recipe years ago, from one of my closest friends, Whitney. She claims that she can't boil water, but she can make a mean Hawaiian sandwich! And her mom, Rose, introduced me to butterbeans when Whitney and I were roommates at Ole Miss. Oh my word. I didn't know what I was missing until I had one of Mrs. Canterbury's butterbeans. Pure delight. Whitney - please get your mama to send me some of her recipes so I can try to make them! The Canterburys sure know how to put out a game-day spread in the Grove, too. Grovin' was always more fun when they were in town!


Hawaiian Sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Whitney Puckett
1 package of King's Hawaiian sweet rolls (the original kind)
Lunch meat and cheese of your choice (I use turkey and ham, and colby/jack or cheddar)

Topping:
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Combine melted butter, mustard and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl and mix well.

Spray pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Slice rolls; fill with meat and cheese and top with bread. Poke holes in top of rolls and drizzle topping over the top of all. (It's best to use a pan with sides so that the topping can pool in the bottom.) Cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Keep covered with aluminum foil until the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.

2 comments:

  1. POT ROAST

    Yield
    Makes 6 servings
    Ingredients
    1 (3- to 4-pound) chuck roast
    1 (12-ounce) can beer
    1 (0.7-ounce) envelope Italian dressing mix
    Roasted Vegetables (optional)
    Preparation
    Brown roast on all sides in a lightly oiled 5-quart cast-iron Dutch oven over high heat. Remove from heat, and add beer and dressing mix.
    Bake, covered, at 300° for 3 hours or until tender, turning once. Serve with Roasted Vegetables, if desired.
    Kara,

    I got this recipe out of the Southern Living Magazine. The secret to the taste and tenderness is cooking it in an iron skillet that has a tight fitting lid (dutch oven). I usually add my potatoes, carrots, and onions the last hour of cooking time. It is to die for!!

    Rose Canterbury

    By the way, Whitney sent me your blog so that I could read you very nice things that you said about me. Thanks, I love you and would love to see you and meet your husband.. We need to do the “Grove” thing sometimes. Tell your mom and dad “Hello”!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this new blog girl!! I am making my grocery list with all your new recipes! Oh and I asked David about this sandwich and he wants me to get some pineapple to add to it- sounds like a good addition!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter