Thursday, August 27, 2009

If you like P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps, you'll love these

A few years ago, right after I moved back to Brunswick, Patrick and I were a part of a group of folks that got together every Thursday night for dinner. Each couple brought appetizers, and we'd all sit around eating, laughing and enjoying the fellowship. For fun, our evenings were often themed, and we would each make a dish that corresponded to the night's theme.

One night we were assigned to bring something Asian inspired, and for the life of me I couldn't decide what to make. I don't fry (at least not yet - this blog may inspire me to step outside my comfort zone one day), so egg rolls were out of the question. Fried rice wasn't "appetizer-ish" enough. Then it dawned on me. I love the lettuce wraps from P.F. Changs. Perhaps I could find a way to recreate them ... so, of course, I turned to the internet for help.

My ever faithful and trusty friend Southern Living came to the rescue, and I found a strikingly similar recipe made with turkey, of all things.

I will be the first to admit how surprised I was at how delicious this turned out. It is good. Don't let the bad photo and perhaps strange-sounding ingredients turn you off of this recipe. Just give it a try. It's different, but it's a good kind of different. It's one of those dinners that you'll make and eat, and go, "Man, this is good, and so different than what I usually eat. Why haven't I made this in four months?" And then two months later your husband will ask for it again because he really, really likes it, too.

Plus, those random ingredients -- they last forever, either in your pantry or in your fridge. So it's okay if you don't cook this once a month, cause they'll last. But it's so good you'll want to!

(Please forgive my photography skills; I know I desperately need to work on them. Just don't judge the food by the photo. The food really is good. The photo ... notsomuch. And I know that.)

Crispy Ginger-and-Garlic Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup water
1 (20-ounce) package lean ground turkey
1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 head iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
Hoisin sauce (optional)

Cook carrots and 1/2 cup water in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until carrots are softened and water is evaporated. Remove from skillet.

Reduce heat to medium. Cook turkey in skillet about 5 minutes, stirring until turkey crumbles and is no longer pink. Add carrots, mushrooms, and next 8 ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes. Add green onions, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Spoon mixture evenly onto lettuce leaves; roll up. Serve with hoisin sauce, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the photo does it no justice because it is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter