Sunday, August 9, 2009

If this icing were on a piece of cardboard, I'd eat it.

I feel slightly dumb posting this recipe here because, well, it comes from the back of a cocoa box and I really should just put a big ole sign on here that says "Y'ALL GO BUY SOME HERSHEY'S COCOA AND MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE ICING EVER" and my point would be made. But, brevity is not typically my strong point, so, here we go. (Plus, it's pretty much all we ate here at the Witherow house this past weekend.)

Y'all have probably learned by now how much I like, along with the
quick and the easy, desserts. If I had my choice between breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert, I would always, always, always choose dessert.

Did I mention that I like dessert?

So, on Friday, I got a craving for some chocolate, and three Little Debbie Fudge Rounds did little to satisfy said craving. (You think I'm kidding? I'm not. And no, I'm not pregnant. Just pathetic.) So, I dug through the pantry and lo and behold, found a box of chocolate cake mix. Now, after making the yummy not-from-a-box chocolate cake (recipe below) a week or so ago, I had vowed to never make a cake from a mix again, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I ripped that box open faster than you could say "Hershey's."

Now, this post is not about the cake. The cake is just an average, run-of-the-mill cake-mix cake. I don't even know what brand it is. It's the icing that is its saving grace. Oh, the icing. Two words - butter (one whole stick) and cocoa. Need I say more? Divine.


Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
Ripped right off the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed of an electric mixer to spreading consistency. Add more milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups.

Seriously. You could just skip the cake and eat this icing. It's that good.

5 comments:

  1. girl, as if I need another chocolate recipe. but yay! I need another chocolate recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom uses the same recipe, yum! Why go messing with something from the professional choclatiers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin - seriously! They've done their hours and hours of research ... who am I to argue with that?? I was actually looking around the house for something chocolaty to eat today and am totally bummed that there's no more of this icing to eat. I thought, just for a second, about making some to eat just by itself but that might be going overboard ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, girl! I just joined Weight Watchers a week & 1/2 ago! This is torture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia, I would not recommend reading my blog until you quit WW -- these are not WW-friendly recipes! I do, however, have a big WW cookbook that you are welcome to borrow at anytime! Clearly it does not get a lot of use at my house (thought I do need to use it more often than I do!). There's a great roasted corn recipe in there that I will share here one day.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter