Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Campanelle Pasta Salad

A few weeks ago when I was at Target (I go way too often, by the way) I noticed that Giada De Laurentiis had launched a new line of products exclusive to Target. The ceramic/stoneware bread pans looked nice, but I was drawn to a box of orzo pasta. Not that I've ever cooked orzo, but I was really interested in seeing if there was a recipe on the back of the box.

Yup, there was. It was an orzo/tuna recipe, and it intrigued me. I didn't buy the orzo because it cost almost $2.50 for a one-pound box, and I knew I could buy it at Publix for about a dollar less (non Giada branded, however, but the brand name is certainly not worth my $1).

So, two weeks later I was still thinking about that recipe. Obsess much, Kara? I couldn't find it online (of course not -- they want me to shell out $2.50 for a box of pasta), but I did find an incredibly similar Giada recipe, made with campanelle pasta instead of orzo.

Worth a shot, I figured. And I might as well feed the beast that had been obsessing over tuna and pasta.

So, I made it for dinner tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Neither Patrick nor I are big fans of fresh tomatoes, but we both liked the cooked cherry tomatoes, and they gave the pasta nice flavor and color. It was a nice flavor change of pace for us, too; while we tend to eat copius amounts of pasta, we don't typically eat fish (at least not at home).

This was a quick, easy meal, too, perfect for weeknights.

And, to Target and Giada (cause I'm sure they'll read this ...) -- how about a line of Giada-inspired clothing? I always like the shirts she wears ... but would wear a cami underneath. No cleavage in the kitchen for me!!


Campanelle Pasta Salad

Slightly modified from the original Giada De Laurentiis recipe, found on foodnetwork.com*
1 pound campanelle pasta
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
1 small or 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (12-ounce) can tuna in oil, drained
1 pint (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained

2 teaspoons dried chopped thyme
4 teaspoons chopped dried parsley
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.

In a 14-inch skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until aromatic. Add the tuna to the skillet and, using a fork, break into chunks. Add the cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the pasta, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and the parsley. Toss until all the ingredients are coated, adding a little pasta water, if needed, to thin out the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.

*I used 12 ounces of tuna instead of the 6 called for in the recipe, and am glad I did. I don't think that 6 ounces would have been enough to taste. I also didn't feel like buying fresh herbs, and already had the dried herbs on hand, so that's what I used. I modified the quantities above to account for using them instead of fresh herbs. For the original recipe, click here.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the same display and wanted to make the orzo pasta as well! I really want to try this recipe. I love artichokes and capers. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter