Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cheesecake Cupcakes

I really like cheesecake. And I really like to make cheesecake. But sometimes, a whole cheesecake is just too much, and for parties and showers it can be tough to slice and eat it, especially if you're walking around, talking and mingling.

Lo and behold, the cheesecake cupcake! These are the perfect bite-size alternative to a regular-size cheesecake, and just as delicious.

I helped host an all-dessert baby shower a few weeks ago and made these. It was my first time making them, and thankfully, they turned out perfectly. Just thinking about them makes me want them again!

But watch out -- it's easy to eat about a dozen of these little gems!


Cheesecake Cupcakes

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Topping:
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Fresh fruit slices, fruit topping or jam for garnish

Preheat oven to 325. Line 24 regular muffin cups with paper cupcake liners. (I had to buy foil cupcake liners because both stores were out of the paper kind - go figure - and they seemed more substantial than the plain paper liner. I say that because I had to use one paper liner when I ran out of foil ones!)

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until very smooth. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.

Fill the cups about half full with the batter. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the cupcakes are set and golden brown.

Make the topping: Combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla and stire well with a metal spoon or spatula. Spoon about a teaspoon on top of each cupcake and return to the oven for 5 minutes to glaze.

Remove cupcakes from the oven. When they can be handled safely, remove them from the muffin tins and let cool completely on wire racks. When completely cool, place them in plastic containers with lids and refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, decorate with slivers of freshly cut seasonal fruit, jam or fruit topping, or one to two whole blueberries or raspberries. Serve at room temperature. Makes 2 dozen.

*Note: Do not eat these before they have been chilled in the fridge! (Or let your husband.) You will be disappointed in the texture until they have chilled thoroughly. I know from experience!! And, it took my cupcakes about 35 minutes to even slightly brown on top, so yours may take a little longer, too. I don't know if that had anything to do with using foil liners instead of paper, but just throwing it out there. Also, I used cherry pie filling for the topping and just spooned three cherries onto each cupcake - so yummy - I wish I had some right now!


And stay tuned for more recipes coming soon, I promise! I have been cooking a lot lately, just now need to take the time to post the recipes and photos. I know - I need to get my priorities in line! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter