Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chaos in the kitchen

There's been chaos in my kitchen for the past two days.

Perhaps that's a sign that I should take a cooking hiatus?

Needless to say, my hopes and dreams of being the next Martha Stewart or Paula Deen have been dashed. (Not that I have had dreams of being either of them, frankly, but I have been humbled. Oh, so humbled.)

Last night I tried a new recipe for dinner and it turned out reasonably well. The chaos was coming, though ...

As Patrick and I settled down for dinner in the living room, I took a sip of my tea, which was sitting on a coaster next to my plate of food on the tray table. (Note - once we have Nora, we will start eating at the dinner table like we did with our families, but until then we will enjoy dinner in the living room, watching tv!) I put my cup down and it caught on the lip of the coaster, sending an entire huge cup full of tea (unsweet, thankfully) onto my plate, me and the floor.

I sat there, pouting, while Patrick sprang into action. I was a wet mess, as was my dinner. Thankfully there was enough for me to dump what was on my plate and get more, but man, it was a mess.

And today wasn't any better.

I had this grand idea to make a chocolate pound cake for dessert tonight and to have again tomorrow night when my parents come to town.

This was the first time I've ever made this recipe.

And apparently what I thought was a 10" tube pan turned out to be a less-than-10" tube pan.

Can you see where I'm headed with this?

I knew that I was filling the pan pretty full, but didn't realize just how full until I smelled smoke coming from the oven. It's not a good sign when you see flames inside your oven; that much I do know.

The cake had overflowed the pan and batter had fallen onto the bottom of the oven and onto the element. I put the fire out, and quickly opened up the windows in the kitchen and dining area (it's pretty chilly in here now). It still smells like a fire and I'm glad I have yet to shower today. (Yay for work-from-home jobs!)

The cake was far from pretty when I pulled it from the oven, but hopefully we can focus on the taste instead of the appearance.

Here's hoping, at least.

2 comments:

  1. That's ok. I attempted a last minute chicken & rice dinner the other night and it BOMBED! Chicken tasted like rubber and the rice had zero flavor. The creamed corn side dish tasted about 4 years too old and the biscuits were bland.

    All I wanted was to go to Mickey D's after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, I did the same thing with a pound cake during late summer. I smelled it and ran to the oven and was able to scoop out the batter than had cooked into a cake as soon as it hit the oven basin. It continued to bubble out of the bundt pan throughout the baking. What a mess. However...........I salvaged so much of the blobs of cake that we were able to taste test, and it was probably the most delicious cake I had ever baked. The end result from the pan was so ugly, but we enjoyed every crumb! I hope yours is as good :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter